Sunday, 26 January 2014
The distance between Harris and Lewis ranges from a shared boundary to a short crossing, as the above view of Mealista (Lewis) from Scarp (Harris) indicates. Mealista Island has been inhabited and the sheep fank below was probably constructed from the ruins of the homes in a small community. The nuns who lived in the House of the Old Women in Black were resident long before an official census was taken, However, when the official responsible for counting populations made a visit to the 306-acre island in 1861, there was the crew of a fishing boat from Rosehearty, Aberdeen, including a female cook, camping. They were the last recorded 'inhabitants'.
Scottish Islands Explorer - accounting for items of island interest