Saturday, 14 September 2013
Off and On
The lighthouse at Shillay on the Monachs or Heisker Islands has seen changes since it was built by David and Thomas Stevenson in 1864. It shone continuously until 1942 before being de-commissioned. Then after the Braer oil tanker disaster off Shetland in 1993, a new smaller light was built and opened here four years later. It had a range of ten miles. In 2008 the old light was re-commissioned with a new optic and now shines to warn the heavier sea traffic that uses the routes to the west of the Outer Hebrides.
Scottish Islands Explorer - commissioned in the year 2000