Tuesday 24 April 2012

'A Machine of Magic'


Albert Winstanley (1917 - 2012) has died and an era has ended. He not only lived for cycling, but, through both his personality and books, encouraged others to get on their bikes and go places, including the Scottish islands. In Golden Days Awheel (1991) he devotes a chapter to visiting and journeying between the Gatliff Hostels in the Western Isles. He described the bicycle as 'a machine of magic' and this, as well as many other insights, are presented in the obituary by Tim Dawson which features in yesterday's edition of The Guardian. Many continue to follow in his tracks.


Scottish Islands Explorer - tries to be 'a magazine of magic'

1 comment:

Richard Evans said...

What a wonderful fellow.
Alberts' quote:
"To me a bicycle is a machine of magic ... taking me on to the ways of satisfied happiness; giving to me the good friendship I enjoy with others, and to share with me the delights and ecstasies of the outdoors.